advertisement
advertisement
advertisement
Most Innovative Companies

Rimowa

Rimowa is a heritage luggage brand known for its distinctive aluminum hard-sided bags. The company was founded in Germany in 1898 by Paul Morszeck and Heinrich Görtz, who created a groove pattern on the suitcases, which helped to stabilize the thin aluminum, creating cases that were both strong and lightweight. Over the decades, the suitcases—which cost around $1,000 for a carry-on—have developed a following among the creative set, including Apple’s chief design officer Jony Ive, fashion designer Karl Lagerfeld, and chef Massimo Bottura.

In 2016, luxury conglomerate LVMH acquired an 80% stake in the company for $719 million, with Dieter Morszeck, the founder’s grandson, holding the remaining 20%. Alexandre Arnault, son of LVHM chairman Bernard Arnault, became co-CEO along with Morszeck. Since then, Rimowa has been gaining momentum by leaning into its reputation as the suitcase of choice for designers and artists. In 2018, it partnered with Virgil Abloh, who designed an entirely see-through version of the classic Rimowa design, and it collaborated with artist Olaffur Eliasson to create exclusive stickers for the brand. That year, the brand also partnered with TED to give all participants to the conference a suitcase. 

Lists
2019: Style
Data
headquarters: Cologne, Germany
News

Forget swag bags: TED conference 2018 attendees are getting $550 Rimowa suitcases

TED gift bags have been known to go a bit overboard. Last year, the conference set up a “gifting experience,” where attendees could stuff their TED-branded Lululemon bags with $170 Creme De La Mer face creams and $129 Google Home speakers. There were $449 G-Ro suitcases that were so popular that they quickly went out of … Continue reading “Forget swag bags: TED conference 2018 attendees are getting $550 Rimowa suitcases”

Forget swag bags: TED conference 2018 attendees are getting $550 Rimowa suitcases
News

Can a makeover help this 120-year-old suitcase brand get its groove back?

As far as suitcase-makers go, Rimowa is one of the world’s oldest, creating the iconic aluminum luggage with grooves on it. The LVMH-owned brand is about to turn 120 years old, and in conjunction with its anniversary, it’s launching a brand-new visual identity. Led by Rimowa CEO Alexandre Arnault (son of LVMH chairman Bernard Arnault), … Continue reading “Can a makeover help this 120-year-old suitcase brand get its groove back?”

Can a makeover help this 120-year-old suitcase brand get its groove back?
advertisement
advertisement
advertisement