Twitter is taking another step to curb misinformation on its platform.
According to a blog post published by Twitter today, tweets that “may contain misleading information about COVID-19 vaccines” will be labeled as such. And those spreading the false information are going to be subjected to a “strike system,” which the company defined as:
- One strike: no account-level action
- Two strikes: 12-hour account lock
- Three strikes: 12-hour account lock
- Four strikes: 7-day account lock
- Five or more strikes: permanent suspension
Twitter says it will start with tweets in English, and its goal is to “eventually use both automated and human review to address content that violates our COVID-19 vaccine misinformation rules.”
Facebook also recently doubled down on efforts to curb the spread of misinformation about the COVID-19 vaccines.