You should swap out your leather tote bag for a nylon one. Why? Let us count the ways:
- To make a leather bag, you need cattle. And cattle are super bad for the environment.
- Shockingly, if used properly (and for several years), a nylon bag is considered to be much more environmentally friendly than cotton totes and plastic bags because . . .
- . . . they last for years (I’ve used mine every day for four years and counting).
- They’re more casual (probably like your wardrobe these days).
- They’re washable. And we’ve been washing everything a lot these days.
So, if you’re in the market for an everyday bag perfect for walks, work, grocery shopping, yoga in the park, and everything in between, here are seven nylon totes that we love and highly recommend.
State Graham Tote
This nylon tote from State is the ultimate adaptable bag. It’s perfect to use as an overnight bag, diaper bag, work bag, or road trip essentials carryall. The wide-mouth tote—which comes in a range of different colors and can be personalized—is large enough to fit a 15″ laptop, a lunch box, a pair of sneakers, your water bottle, and all the little essentials, without feeling hulking. And if you do take it traveling, it also features a luggage slip sleeve in the back so you can place it modularly on a roller bag.
Uniqlo Nylon Tote Bag
If you’re looking for a good deal, you can’t beat a tote that rings in under $20. This one from Uniqlo is a perfect basic if you prefer something unfussy and straightforward. It comes in four colors and has wide shoulder straps.
MZ Wallace Metro Tote
Several FC staffers swear by the ultra light-weight MZ Wallace Metro bag as a travel necessity, daily work bag, and everything in between. (You can hold a lot of groceries in these bags!) Its quilted silhouette is chic and—thanks to a roomy interior and pockets—very utilitarian. And because of its REC nylon construction, you can fold, wash, pack, and stuff this bag to the brim and it will never lose its shape. One FC staffer has had her MZ Wallace for seven years and it still looks (almost) as good as new.
Rothy’s The Handbag
Rothy’s designs have two priorities: look sophisticated and be sustainable. This handbag is made of a woven proprietary mix of ocean-bound marine plastic and Rothy’s signature recycled PET,. It features a sleek profile that’s more put together than your average slouchy tote, a top handle, and a shoulder strap—plus, it’s 100% machine washable for ultimate ease. It’s currently available in six lovely colors.
Rebecca Minkoff Washed Nylon Tote
This bag is as straightforward as they come. It’s got a roomy interior and versatile, clean design so you can carry it straight from work to the grocery store and have room for everything you need. The washed nylon material is extra durable, and it comes in four colors and prints—including basic black, gray leopard print, and camo.
Lo & Sons Catalina Day Tote
Half weekender bag, half everyday tote, this carry-all from Lo & Sons is the ultimate hybrid. It’s made of extra-durable, 100% recycled polyester, and has multiple compartments that add much-needed organization into the world of totes. Most impressive, this handy bag features a zippered pocket on the bottom, where you can stash a pair of shoes, dirty clothes, a wet towel, toiletries, or snacks away from the rest of your things.
Caraa x Athleta Everyday Vinyasa Tote
If you prefer a tote that is taller than it is wide and puts a spin on storage, this structured piece born of a collab between Athleta and Caraa is it. The zip-down sides allow for easy access to the bottom of the bag (and for storage of the ever-important yoga mat). Internal mesh pockets help keep the little things organized and a collapsible compartment allows you to pack down or expand the bag as needed.
Looking for more recommendations? Check out our other handpicked suggestions.
- Why Thrive Market is the online grocer you should be shopping with
- I’ve worked remotely across the country for years. Here’s my setup.
- The best tents and camping gear for beginners
- You should invest in a UV sanitizer. Here’s why
- This face mask made by an MIT-founded fashion brand is the best we’ve found yet
- Yale’s most popular online course ever is now available to take for free
- Editor’s Pick: Allbirds’ new running shoes are sustainable, fashionable, and unbelievably comfortable
- Why Thrive Market is a better alternative to Amazon for grocery delivery
Fast Company may receive revenue for some links to products on our site.