Snap has released an interesting report predicting what it believes will be the biggest trends across multiple industries in 2019. Called Looking Forward: Predicted Trends in 2019, the report highlights what gen-Z will be into next year based on what people have been Snapchatting about in the final months of 2018.
For those not familiar with what the demographic gen-Z encompasses, it’s people who were born between the mid-1990s to the mid-2000s–in other words, Snapchat’s primary user base. So what will be the biggest hits among them in 2019? Here’s what Snap is predicting:
- Minecraft is predicted to continue its dominance as the most popular game for gen-Z next year. No surprise there. Also of little surprise is that the next three most popular games will be Fortnite, Call of Duty, and Red Dead Redemption 2.
- Snap says that despite investors worrying iPhone sales will stagnate, Apple’s smartphone will gain even more popularity among gen-Z in 2019.
- The company also expects Apple’s AirPod wireless earbuds to have a massive year next year, with a new model expected early in 2019.
- As for apps, Snap says the money transfer app Cash App is continuing to grow in popularity among its users–growth that shows no sign of slowing down in 2019.
- Did you only just find out what IRL means? (I did.) Get ready for some new slang from gen-Z in 2019. This includes born day (meaning a person’s birthday), YKTV (short for “you know the vibes” aka acknowledgment of a mutual feeling between two people), and, On a date, kinda nervous, which is used ironically by a person to describe spending time with someone or by themselves.
- Memes will continue to be popular in 2019, says Snap. No surprise there. However, their usage will increase when people want to call out blunders (“you had one job”) or to describe intense events and their effects on the mind (“my last brain cell”).
- Interestingly, Snap’s research suggests most gen-Zs find memes “silly” or “stupid,” but still predicts they will increase in popularity.
- Snap predicts several musicians will have a very big 2019. Snap says L.A.-based rapper Blueface will have a year to be thankful for.
- Other artists who will grab attention include Cardi B, NBA YoungBoy, the recently deceased XXXTentacion, K-pop boy band BTS, and alternative pop artist Billie Eilish.
- As for what social media influencers gen-Z will look to in 2019, YouTuber Shane Dawson will be a hit with both males and females, while women will flock to James Charles, a YouTuber who offers beauty tips and makeup tutorials.
Beauty and fashion
- And finally, Snap says in 2019, girls will go for a more “natural” look when it comes to appearance, opting for a “clean and fresh” makeup look, and more bobs.
- Vintage clothing and color-coordinated, tie-dyed, and neon clothes will also be a hit in 2019.