- Ideo: The undisputed design champ, with new work for the Department of Energy and TSA, Medtronic, PNC Bank, and (Red).
- Marcel Wanders Studio: A growing global brand, Wanders produced a glam design for Miami’s Mondrian hotel; a flurry of home products; and a new Villa Moda store for the “Sheik of Chic,” Kuwait’s Majed al-Sabah.
- Rockwell Group: Its roster of standout projects includes the marketplace at JetBlue’s JFK terminal, a line of hotels for Starwood, a playground (see page 40), and this year’s set for the Oscars.
- Pentagram: In 2008, Pentagram’s partners created the new Harley-Davidson museum; redesigns for The Atlantic, Vibe, and Consumer Reports; and seats for United Airlines.
- Whipsaw: A brilliant year for Whipsaw, with designs for everything from baby bottles to slot machines.
- Ammunition: Robert Brunner’s firm excelled with outdoor grills, joysticks, laptops, and more. Brunner also penned a book, Do You Matter?
- Frog design: The resources the firm devoted to Project Masiluleke — an effort to enhance HIV education in Africa via mobile technology — showed that Frog designs with a conscience.
- Fuseproject: Yves Béhar followed the One Laptop Per Child computer with furniture for HBF, a set-top box for Canal+, and a Swarovski chandelier for New York’s Museum of Arts and Design.
- Smart Design: Its Femme Den designers conceived a female-targeted runners watch for Nike that looks, well, smart.
- NewDealDesign: A snuggly disaster-relief cocoon. A sleek charging station for electric cars. This is a firm to watch.
The apps, books, movies, music, TV shows, and art are inspiring our some of the most creative people in business this month
Strong Female Lead
The struggles and triumphs of prominent women in leadership positions
Productivity tips and hacks
The major tech ecosystems that battle for our attention and dollars
What’s next for hardware, software, and services
Most Innovative Companies
Our annual guide to the businesses that matter the most
Most Creative People
Leaders who are shaping the future of business in creative ways
World Changing Ideas
New workplaces, new food sources, new medicine--even an entirely new economic system
Innovation By Design
Celebrating the best ideas in business
An award-winning team of journalists, designers, and videographers who tell brand stories through Fast Company's distinctive lens