Penned by Michael Bierut, the piece examines an essay written by architect Michael McDonough entitled “The Top 10 Things They Never Taught Me in Design School.” Here’s the short form:
- Talent is one-third of the success equation.
- 95 percent of any creative profession is s#*t work.
- If everything is equally important, then nothing is very important.
- Dont over-think a problem.
- Start with what you know; then remove the unknowns.
- Dont forget your goal.
- When you throw your weight around, you usually fall off balance.
- The road to hell is paved with good intentions; or, no good deed goes unpunished.
- It all comes down to output.
- The rest of the world counts.
Useful advice, regardless of your practice or profession.