It just released its 2016 supplier responsibility report, based on 640 audits covering over 1.6 million workers in 2015. In the report, Apple says that 97% of suppliers complied with its 60-hour workweek last year, a 5% increase from 2014. Apple also touted the success of its energy efficiency programs. Among the highlights, the company claims:
• More than 9.2 million workers have been trained on their rights since 2008.
• More than $25.6 million in excessive recruitment fees have been repaid to foreign contract workers by suppliers
• Suppliers have diverted more than 73,000 metric tons of waste from landfills
• Apple’s Clean Water Program has saved more than 3.8 billion gallons of freshwater.
• Reduced carbon emissions by more than 13,800 metric tons through our energy efficiency program.MB