It’s gift-giving season, which for many of us means weeks of indecision, procrastination, and late-night Amazon purchases expedited for Christmas Eve delivery. Giving someone the perfect gift is hard. It requires a combination of creativity, deep understanding of the giftee’s life and character, patience, and often, a touch of luck.
Selzer’s approach to gift-giving include the basic ground rules that guide any good designer as he or she approaches a challenge–do the research, make it functional and beautiful, and tell a good story. Here are his five tips for giving the perfect gift:
- 1. Fulfill an Unknown Need
- 2. Give a High-Quality, Functional Gift
- 3. Give a Beautiful, Unique Gift
- 4. Give a Gift That Does Good
- 5. Tell a Meaningful Story