The social network initially introduced Facebook Gifts as a way for users to send their friends both physical and digital gifts through the mail and the platform. But Gifts head Lee Linden tells AllThingsD only 20% of users were sending physical gifts through Facebook’s retail partners like Magnolia Bakery, Brookstone’s, and Dean & DeLuca–with the other 80% opting for gift cards from retailers like Starbucks, iTunes, and Target.
Facebook does, however, still offer a product designed for real-world use called the Facebook Card, which allows you to preload a single card with different amounts of money to spend at businesses like Jamba Juice and Sephora.
Facebook also most recently began testing a new mobile payments feature that would let users automatically use their payment information already stored on Facebook to make purchases in other apps.
[Image: Flickr user FutUndBeidl]