NBC's The Million Second Quiz will run one hour a day on TV and the other 23 hours online, for 12 days straight (i.e., 1 million seconds) starting September 9. It's a bold experiment aimed at capturing part of the ever-growing second-screen viewing population, which can make or break a TV show.
- 2 to 10x = Putting a hashtag on-screen
- 2 to 8x = Putting @handles on-screen
- 3 to 10x = Having talent live-tweet shows
Average number of engagements on a second screen during a show.
- 45,000 Dramas
- 11,500 Reality
- 11,000 Comedies
- 127% = Second-screen activity between 2012 and 2013
- 8.5% = Tweet Volume
- 1% = TV Rating
Change in ABC's iOS app ranking, after it announced it would live-stream its shows.
- Ranked 263rd to 33rd among all apps
- Ranked 26th to 4th among entertainment apps
[Illustration by Mike Mcquade]
A version of this article appeared in the September 2013 issue of Fast Company magazine.