Fast Company is seeking a full-time associate editor in New York City.
If you want to help Fast Company readers discover the business philosophy that drives Box’s CEO, or how Tim Ferriss woos the media, know why Square’s in-house barista is about much more than coffee, or want to tap the brains of uber-successful people to share their productivity hacks, we want to hear from you. If you love trying out new productivity apps, collaborating with thought leaders from startups and tech companies, and talking to entrepreneurs who are changing the way people work and live, get in touch.
The associate editor will work with Erin Schulte, the senior editor of Co.Lead, to write and/or edit and produce up to 10 daily articles, and should know how to make these stories take off on social media. The editor will also have opportunities to collaborate with our video, social, and print teams on editorial projects and packages.
If you’re well-connected within the startup world and can easily network within those communities, great. In addition to staff-written articles, you’ll be working on op-ed style pieces contributed by thought leaders from the types of businesses Fast Company covers.
Please send your resume, a short introduction letter or video, and no more than 3 relevant clips to hiring editor Erin Schulte at firstname.lastname@example.org by Jan. 31. If you have a more creative way to get our attention, go for it.
This position is based in New York; candidates must be available for in-person interviews.
- 2 years’ journalism experience in a related field.
- Copy-editing chops.
- Basic knowledge of HTML, SEO, photo-editing tools, traffic analysis, and how to use WYSIWYG editing systems.
- Familiarity with leadership-related topics like career development, productivity and self improvement, corporate strategy, and tech/startup industry trends.
- A working knowledge of Fast Company, the types of companies, topics, and industries it covers, and the ability to communicate with executives and leaders within those industries.
- An established social-media presence and a proven track record using it for professional purposes.
- Ability to pay close attention to detail.
- Ability to juggle multiple projects under tight deadlines.
- Ability to work autonomously.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- Bonus points if you know what an Oxford comma is, and remember to use it!
[Image: Flickr user Gerlos]