Jay Cassano is freelance journalist living in Brooklyn. He covers free/open source software, privacy, and the intersection of tech and politics for Fast Co.Labs. His writing has also appeared in The Nation and Al Jazeera America.
Jay previously worked as a foreign correspondent based in Istanbul, Turkey and still writes about the Middle East. He currently co-edits the Turkey section for Jadaliyya, an independent website providing analysis on the Middle East and North Africa. A former Drupal developer, he'd love to chat with you about the politics of software and/or the software of politics.
He read a lot of Walter Benjamin in college and his favorite sci-fi author is Ursula K. Le Guin.
MORE BY THIS AUTHOR
- New York Tries To Figure Out How To Regulate Bitcoin
- Aaron Swartz Anniversary Hacks Hit Dropbox, Microsoft, MIT
- Most Daring Outlaw Hackers of 2013
- How Privacy Software Improved In 2013 Following The NSA Revelations
- This Badass 3-D Camera Array Could Revolutionize Entertainment
- Finally, A Way Everyone Can Keep Their Data From the NSA
- #Antisec Hacktivist Jeremy Hammond Given Maximum Sentence
- This Interactive Infographic Shows The Depth Of The Syrian Resistance
- How Al Jazeera Botched Its American Network Launch
- $20 Million Short, What’s Next For Ubuntu?
- Finally, A Hackathon That Doesn’t Destroy Your Brain And Body
- What Every Coder Community Can Learn From Python
- Pro-Social Software: Nine Examples Of Developers Doing Good
- Ubuntu Edge Promises A Future Of Convergent Devices
- Meet The Account Director of Team Pilot: Steve White