Jay Cassano is senior writer at Fast Co.Labs where he writes about the intersection of tech and politics. He covers privacy, hacktivism, free/open source software, gender equality, and more. His writing has also appeared in The Nation, VICE, In These Times, and Al Jazeera America.
Jay previously worked as a foreign correspondent based in Istanbul, Turkey and still writes about the Middle East. He currently co-edits the Turkey section for Jadaliyya, an independent website providing analysis on the Middle East and North Africa. A former Drupal developer, he'd love to chat with you about the politics of software and/or the software of politics.
He read a lot of Walter Benjamin in college and his favorite sci-fi author is Ursula K. Le Guin. You can read more of Jay's work and learn more about him at his website.
MORE BY THIS AUTHOR
- Lyft Replaces Its Iconic Mustache With A Smaller, Glowing Mustache
- Sony Hackers Exploited A “Zero-Day” Vulnerability
- British Intelligence Intercepted Communications By Journalists
- Healthcare.gov Could Be Leaking Your Private Information
- Inside A Startup Bootcamp That's Addressing Silicon Valley's Diversity Divide
- Obama: Ban Selling Student Data, Targeted Advertising In School
- U.K. Prime Minister Wants To Ban Snapchat, Other Encrypted Messaging Apps
- Italy Wants To Lure Your Startup With A Special Visa Program
- The Global Supercomputing War On Ebola Starts With Your Laptop
- The Apps You Need Now to Keep Your Privacy Intact
- 10 Gifts For The Hacker In Your Life
- Here's How The NYPD's New Body-Camera Program Will Work
- New York City's Pay Phones Will Be Replaced By Free Wi-Fi Mobile Charging Stations
- EFF Asks Supreme Court To Rule On API Copyrights
- 3-D Printing The Museum Store