Jay Cassano is senior writer at Fast Co.Labs where he writes about the intersection of tech and politics. He covers privacy, hacktivism, free/open source software, gender equality, and more. His writing has also appeared in The Nation, In These Times, and Al Jazeera America.
Jay previously worked as a foreign correspondent based in Istanbul, Turkey and still writes about the Middle East. He currently co-edits the Turkey section for Jadaliyya, an independent website providing analysis on the Middle East and North Africa. A former Drupal developer, he'd love to chat with you about the politics of software and/or the software of politics.
He read a lot of Walter Benjamin in college and his favorite sci-fi author is Ursula K. Le Guin.
MORE BY THIS AUTHOR
- Inside NYC's Bold Plan To Turn Payphones Into Wi-Fi Hotspots
- Why We Should Fight The "Ivory Tower" Of Cryptography
- This App Glimpse Is Like Snapchat, But Enterprise-Grade Secure
- What Exactly Is Mozilla Asking The FCC To Do About Net Neutrality?
- Solar Power Is Now As Cheap As Grid Electricity In These European Countries
- A Worker Cooperative That Proves Alternative Economic Systems Aren't Only For The Privileged
- An Occupy-Inspired App That Helps Groups Make Actual Group Decisions
- Can Bitcoin Help Migrant Workers?
- It's Tax Time: Do You Know What You're Paying For?
- This Interactive Space Lets You Know What It's Like To Walk Through A Minefield
- Direct Democracy In Action: Voting On How The Government Spends Your Money
- LGBT Programmers Speak Out On Mozilla's Anti-Gay-Marriage CEO
- Watch 40 Years Of Wind Farms Spreading Across The Country
- New York Tries To Figure Out How To Regulate Bitcoin
- Aaron Swartz Anniversary Hacks Hit Dropbox, Microsoft, MIT