The car company said there is no cap to the amount it will pay out, and the families of those who died in a faulty GM car will be entitled to at least $1 million. Thirteen deaths over more than a decade are linked to problems with GM vehicles. The formula for the amount paid out will be as follows:
- $20,000 for one night in a hospital
- $70,000 for two to seven nights in a hospital
- $170,000 for eight to 15 nights in a hospital
- $500,000 maximum for 32 or more nights in a hospital
- $20,000 maximum for people not hospitalized but treated as an outpatient
Those who partake in the voluntary compensation plan will waive their right to sue GM. Claims--which require supporting data such as photos, police reports, insurance claims, hospital records, or maintenance logs--can be filed from Aug. 1 to Dec. 31, 2014.
[Image: Flickr user Cliff]