Earth Hour, the annual flick-the-lights-off-for-an-hour event from the World Wildlife Fund, is coming up on Saturday. It's the perfect opportunity for corporations to demonstrate that they are dedicated to the environment, which is why so many are milking the event for all the green credibility it offers. Below, some of the Earth Hour actions from big businesses:
- Walmart Canada stores will reduce sales floor lighting all day. During Walmart's "Earth Month" campaign in China (March 24 to April 22), the company will turn off a third of its lights in 180 Walmart outlets from 8 to 9 AM and from 1 to 2 PM.
- Sage Hotels will turn off all non-essential lighting. From March 29 to April 4, the company's 6,000 employees carpool, use public transportation, bike and walk to work.
- IKEA stores across the globe will offer up a variety of green activities on March 27--including turning off non-essential lighting, offering sun-lit dinners, and sponsoring climate-related competitions among customers and co-workers.
- Molson Coors will turn off non-essential lighting and signage at its Denver headquarters as well as at breweries and offices at Molson Coors Canada and Molson Coors UK. MillerCoors offices and breweries in the U.S. will also turn off all non-essential interior and exterior lighting and signage, and employees will be encouraged to turn off the lights in their homes. A similar initiative last year saved 1,595 kilowatt hours of energy at Molson Coors Canada alone--enough to power a house for a month.
- Coca-Cola will darken its signs in Times Square in New York, Piccadilly Circus in London, San Pedro Sula in Honduras and Kings Cross in Sydney. 30 North American Coca-Cola Digital Network locations will also go to black screen during the hour. Earth Hour promotions will run on the screens both before and after the event.
- Harrah's Entertainment will shut off external decorative lighting and marquees at 50 of its casino resorts. Read: the Vegas Strip goes dark.
- Abu Dhabi Airports Company will turn off the lighting system at its second runway. Flights scheduled during Earth Hour will be redirected to other runways at the airport.